INCLUSION BEGINS WITH US
Thank you for taking the time to explore our Retail Checklist to improve the inclusivity of your retail venue. Please read the tips below covering the following categories: Physical accessibility, Communication & Sensory.
- Ensure level access without steps/bumps.
- If shop entry incorporates steps, install handrails and have a moveable ramp available.
- Ensure your spaces are wheelchair accessible, including:
- wide aisles.
- at least one accessible change room.
- adequate space at the register area.
- Offer a two-person change room, so a support person may accompany a shopper with a disability.
- Have a portable EFTPOS ‘tap & go’ machine that can be moved from the countertop.
- Greet and address people with a disability first, and then their support person.
- Speak directly and give personal assistance to the customer, not their support person.
- Demonstrate focus and patience towards customers with a disability, who may require extra time to state their enquiry, or require special assistance throughout the sales process.
- Offer a ‘’tap & go’ payment option for ease of use.
- Offer a sensory space/spot (in the quietest part of the shop) with a comfortable chair. Have a sign on the counter stating “Ask us about our sensory space, if you need it :)“.
- Train staff to lower music significantly if they notice a person in the shop struggling with sound. The stereo can easily be turned-up again when appropriate.
- Ensure there are no flickering or flashing lights.
- Consider offering a regular ‘sensory hour’ where people and families with sensory disorders may shop in a low-light, music-free environment.
- Train staff to offer support to shoppers and people with sensory distress.